International Student Physical Chemistry Video Competition
Opens: 1 January 2011
Closes: 31 May 2011
The winner of the competition will be invited to attend the 43rd IUPAC Congress in Puerto Rico, USA (July 31-August 7, 2011) where a $1000 prize will be presented and the winning video screened. Merit prizes of $100 will go to 5 other students whose videos are chosen as finalists.
* Entries (one per student) will be accepted in the period January 1 to May 31, 2011 from students enrolled at a secondary school or tertiary institution on the closing date of entries.
* The video of up to 2 minutes about a phenomenon, experiment, or project must explain a principle of physical chemistry in an imaginative way and be accessible to a general audience.
* The video with English narration (or English subtitles) can combine interviews, screen shots, and views of a system in action. A good sense of humor is encouraged, but only submissions with serious physical chemistry content will be accepted. Novel ideas not based on a system in action are also encouraged.
* Video entries can be in standard definition (SD) or high definition (HD). The video must contain original material and entries must not contain any copyrighted video, audio music, or characters.
* An entry form giving student personal details, educational institution, and teacher will be lodged at the time of video submission.
* Submission Period: January 1 – May 31, 2011
* Decision Notification: June 30, 2011
A Video Competition Committee formed by the President of Division I will judge the entries.
Reviewing criteria (from most to least-weighted):
* Relevance to physical chemistry principles (research, instructional, and/or application)
* Creation of interest, novelty, entertainment value, etc
* Clarity and educational content.
* Videos should be submitted to Vimeo or YouTube with the URL and completed entry form sent to email@example.com
* The winning six entries will be required to send the original masterfile in an appropriate format (e.g. avi, mkv, h264, wmv, mov) to firstname.lastname@example.org and required to sign distribution license agreements.